PAGES

Monday, September 27, 2010

The tale by Ms. Potter comes true, well, almost

In the story of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter, he disobeys his mother and eats veggies out of Mr. McGregor's garden. Just before heading out to my favorite home and garden store, I stopped by my mostly neglected veggie garden to see what might be left of my yummy items to harvest this week. As I stepped into the zucchini patch, noticing a good size zucchini for dinner, I heard a soft rustle of weeds which I thought was coming out from under the pine tree near my garden. I moved towards the cucumber to find a small one sprouting from the mostly withered vine, but chose to leave it to grow a bit more. And, the grass beneath me moved. I thought I had startled a frog or something...which I really prefer to have around since they eat the nasty bugs that pervade my edibles.
But, sure enough, only as large as the zucchini in my hand - was a soft brown - very camouflaged rabbit. Small and cute, with long ears, and just a quick to scurry around my fenced in garden faster than I could chase it out towards the gate. Apparently, it must have jumped into the garden from the ill-fitted gate of my mesh fence - which normally sits two feet high...but the gate had been toppled and left open only a few inches from the ground.
As its fluffy white tail hopped or ran as fast as it could in circles around the inside perimeter...I tried to fully open the gate so it would hop out and around and be fully removed from anywhere near my lovely tomatoes.
And...sure enough, it worked. Thank goodness.
I don't know how long it had been there...but rabbits have no place in my garden. Especially since I planted nine tomato vines with barely anything to show for it in terms of actual fruit produced. Everyone said I'd have more than my fill to can and preserve, give away to neighbors, make salsa and spaghetti sauce, and toss with my salads. But, I've just had enough to keep a few on the counter each day, as my family devours the few red beauties I gather.

Hmmm...I'm planning on using home grown compost and additional soil amendments next planting season...but wondering how much time that will take to maintain it then next season. As this season is just about over...I reflect and have somewhat enjoyed not spending too much time in the garden this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment