PAGES

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Now...what did I plant there again?

One of the things I love about my garden in Minnesota, is that during the main growing seasons, there are such different things sprouting at different times of the year. Some plants have bright early spring blooms and then fade off, some come up in the spring, bloom in the heat of summer, and then fade as we move towards the fall. Some, like my rose bushes, continue to flower all season long, and surprise me with brilliant colors of magenta and pink during the cooler September and October temperatures. Still others have newly sprouted buds and are just about to bloom, like my perennial purple asters and the stonecrop in bright pink, waiting to turn to copper and then auburn... recently visited by bumblebees.

I have to hand it to the person who planned the perennials that sprout up for me now. What a treat to come outside and see color in bloom, not just in the changing colors of the leaves on the trees, but amongst the flowers in the front and corner gardens.

But what about those transplanted coralbells I mentioned back in July? http://secondhandyard.blogspot.com/2010/07/so-mulch-to-do.html
I hate to say it but I think they died. I just stopped watering them and I think they just shriveled up and died! Of course, I won't really know until I see if anything survived the winter and comes forth from beneath the mulch into the spring. I'm grateful for being able to check back on my posts to remember the progress I made last year, and even earlier this year.

I have completely neglected my garden this year...and these are the times that I am extremely grateful for good mulch techniques, wet rainy and hot summer weather, and sweet hardy perennials like hostas, ferns and hydrangea that simply continue to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment