PAGES

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Been asleep

Not just awakening to something warmer and fresher than the cold icy mounds of salt & dirt speckled snow...but actually breaking through the ground I saw a few sedums and daffodils yesterday at a friend's home. I don't see them in my yard yet - but I'm hopeful that they're there.
My son brought home a paper Dixie cup filled with dirt and seeds from his kindergarten Sunday school class. We promptly filled it with some water, and set it upon the window sill. It sits there today - but some shoots of green grass have sprouted, and I'm thrilled to be able to continue to water and nurture the little bit of green that it brings to my kitchen. This little bit of joy is just what I've needed since I've been asleep.
Each year in this house I've been surprised by the beautiful red tulips that still pop through the dry dirt on the side of the garage, but not surprised that some of them have lost their energy and simply cannot bloom. That's pretty much how I've felt about the winter. I caught a nasty bug from my kids a couple of weeks ago, and the illness has really taken a toll on my physical self. I don't have much energy to write, but felt I needed to jot down just a few words here. Perhaps the soil needs a little boost - some hearty rich compost or a change of pace like a new planting of something completely different.
Today marks the end of the fourth consecutive month of below average temps in the area. The melt-off is slow, and you have to check in on the ground and the perenniels pretty much every day. Most of the ground is still frozen, and we just got a huge amount of snow only one week ago. I hope I can keep up when the glories and bulbs decide to make an appearance. As for now, they are still asleep, as I should also be tonight. I'll wake again, and hope for more change tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your insights and thoughts. It has been a hard winter. Blessings to you into this new season of life.

    ReplyDelete