PAGES

Friday, May 7, 2010

Ground cover

May in Minnesota leaves much to the imagination. One day it's 70degrees and sunny - the weeds are in full bloom and the bugs are beginning to emerge. The next week, we are faced with a forecast that shows temps below freezing and much precipitation. This means snow - which by itself wouldn't be much to worry about as it easily melts by mid-day at this angle to the sun's rays...and actually provides much needed moisture to the ground. However, it's the frost in the forecast for Saturday night that has me wanting to protect my perennials that are already in bloom.

The groundcovers - Bugleweed, Coral bells, lamium, etc are loaded with gorgeous blossoms that have painted my front yard such a lovely shade of happy. Roses, daylillies and sedum are just waiting to open in another month or two, and I have a huge desire to see color as I pull into the driveway upon returning home at the end of the day.


And so...I am putting together a pile of sheets, tarp and towels that I can stake down on top of my beauties so the frost won't bite the delicate petals and leaves. (sigh) Gotta love MN weather!






No comments:

Post a Comment